S.D.D.L
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Been Churning things up all day

2 posters

Go down

Been Churning things up all day Empty Been Churning things up all day

Post  Max Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:05 pm

Started buying in bit by bit into a wide range of stocks today. Made some same-day sales too. Still don't have anything I think is going to rebound huge.

Looking a lot closer at Uranium One or DML (Denison Mines) to get some real rebound potential on this nuclear issue. Bought a little CCO (Cameco) and sold for quick gain.

Also, Kucher's NEM (Neo Materials) has dropped off quite a bit with everything else, and this stock looked pretty promising and should be unaffected as far as I know.

Bought some SLF (Sunlife) (could be risky consider how closely linked to stock market performance they are, and how long term low interest rates are bad for them as well), but the valuation is looking very good, and I am pretty sure the company is not a fraud. LNC (Lincoln National) and PRU (Prudential Financial) in the US are also equally attractively valued, but I am tapped out of USD after the massacre in CCME (China Media Express).

Also looking bought some ECA (Encana) again just considering the dip. It is a great company, and maybe there will be a boost if somebody in the media mentions a natural gas power plant. QEC (Questerre) was looking pretty attractive earlier in the day, but I already had some, and it was not down enough to justify a double down.

EGLE (Eagle Bulk Shipping) is looking very attractive, but I am scared off a little by the debt load and terrible medium term prospects for the industry. I will have to take a closer look. Maybe the ship building industry has been hit hard by the Japan crisis and this will stop the flood of additional vessels to the market. I bought some DSX (Diana shipping) a while ago, and am tempted to add to it.

Even oil seems to be taking an unjustified beating. COP (Conocophillips) was down to $71, when it was at $80 a week ago.

Also, DRX (ADF Group), another stock I had my eye on in the construction industry had this in their 2010 annual report:

"we undertook to position ADF Group in another specialized market niche — the
construction and refurbishment of nuclear power plants ― thereby providing the Corporation with an additional
potential source of growth over the medium term,”

Could give a little boost if they can land a contract.

Lots of choices for those with spare cash......

Max
SDDL Insider
SDDL Insider

Back to top Go down

Been Churning things up all day Empty Re: Been Churning things up all day

Post  lukera Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:11 am

Max, I wish I was in the same position as you (spare cash). I think you are going to make off like a bandit in short term plays...lucky!!!!

lukera
lukera
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Max Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:17 am

Well, I was back in cash early last week after turning a quick profit with most of the before-mentioned names. I think there is something to watching the S&P index as a whole relative to its 5-10 year history. You can see that the market has come right back to where it was pre-2008 just like there was no economic crisis.

As a quick and dirty measure, I would compare historical interest rates (a weak proxy for money supply) to the S&P index to show that when the money supply is shrinking (through increased long term interest rates [with the bank, not the bank of canada rate]) and S&P is reaching historically high levels, there probably isn't that much money left for additional investors to put in, and a drop in the market seems increasingly likely the higher the index goes.

Since the 2008 levels were artificially inflated by cheap money supply, I think it is not likely for a continued rise, and that was the reason I had lots of cash on the sidelines allowing me to go on a shopping spree earlier this week.

Slow and steady purchases of my favourite stocks. ECA, SLF, QEC, LSG, S. I even bought a little of Fred's pick TME (purely on speculation).

I don't own any Uranium at the moment although UUU still looks pretty tempting. I think some more bad news can come and knock it down a little more.

Max
SDDL Insider
SDDL Insider

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum